Restructuring of Cargo Handling Corporation Ltd (CHCL)
- Grant Amount
- EUR 1,200,000
- Total project cost
- EUR 42,100,000
- Under disbursement
- PFG Lead Financier
Restructuring/rcovery plan to make Port-Louis the hub port of the region.
- Recruitment of a high caliber Deputy Managing Director. Finalise the recruitment of a Technical Director who will improve the maintenance program and manage the investment program 2014-16.
- International recruitment of a Chief Operation Officer (COO) to provide TA and run the operations for about 2 years. He will be responsible for the re-engineering of its Operations Department.
- Reduce personnel costs as a percentage of total expenditure or revenues.
- Update tender documents and re-launch the search of a strategic partner for CHCL to achieve long term viability.
In addition to the AFD loan (EUR 27 million), the EU-AITF technical assistance will finance two components:
- Capacity building (EUR 0.7 million): this grant component will support the training of operators so that once the new equipment is commissioned, operators are fully trained to perform their duties. CHCL has specially recruited a professional with wide international exposure (a Chief Operations Officer) to train operators with a view to foster an international benchmark and improve work practices and organizational efficiency. Moreover, he will develop and implement a management training program to reinforce middle management as well as senior management.
- Consultancy services for improving the performance of CHCL (EUR 0.5 million): the study will focus on the performance of the handling company, improving productivity in relation with the perspective of the further developments, and will explore, in case of failure, solutions involving private partners.