The Facility aims to increase production of clean and reliable energy to supply power grids in Eastern Africa by attracting public and private developers and to mobilise finance for the construction of geothermal power plants. The Facility provides grants to co-finance surface studies and exploration drilling programmes for public and private developers. The support will reduce the high upfront risks related to the development of geothermal resources and thus geothermal power. The projects the GRMF supports are located in Eastern Africa in the countries that have signed the Addis Ababa resolution with the African Union Commission on Geothermal Energy (currently 11 countries).The Facility will induce positive social and environmental impacts and contribute to sustainable development by providing affordable and reliable power from sustainable sources. It will increase the amount of renewable energy by supporting exploration activities leading to the development of geothermal power plants with a combined capacity of at least 300 MW.
The EU-AITF grant is being used for the following:
- Financial support for drilling of exploration wells at the most promising geothermal prospects to assist developers secure finance for subsequent exploration or appraisal wells.
- Surface studies to determine the optimal location of exploration wells at the most promising geothermal prospects.
- Development of regional geothermal database of prospects in the region.
- Pre-application training workshops for developers.
- Support to AUC for management of the project. The first call for proposal was launched in October 2012, the 4th Application round has started in June 2016.
Release of the official Geothermal Risk Mitigation Facility (GRMF) Webpage and Announcement of Pre-application Information Workshop.
For more information, read the Flyer describing the project, the press release announcing the Pre-application Information Workshop and the agenda of the Pre-application Information Workshop.
The Geothermal Risk Mitigation Facility – Announcement of Pre-application Information Workshop for the Second Application Round
The Geothermal Risk Mitigation Facility, sponsored by the ITF, will extend its activities on substantially more countries in East Africa and will therefore soon open the second round of application. Please read the press release and invitation to a pre-application information workshop.